When Kathrin Messner and Josef Ortner (who passed away on 30 March 2009) visited Sri Lanka in 1983, they were in search of a second location where they could gain new experiences, in addition to those that their life in Vienna and their work with contemporary art (museum in progress) already provided them. By chance, they found a plot of land and built a house – an inspiring meeting place for artists and friends. Over the years, the Ayurveda Guesthouse & Resort Bogenvillya, the Art & Literature Programme, and the Free Education School – the core of the one world foundation – arose from this basic idea.
PHILOSOPHY & ORGANISATION
The one world foundation is based on three pillars: the educational project the Free Education School, the Ayurveda Guesthouse & Resort Bogenvillya and the Art & Literature Programme. The foundation supports targeted educational projects in Sri Lanka. The project most dear to founder Kathrin Messner is the Free Education School for more than 1,100 children, young people and adults in Ahungalla, which is financed mainly by the income generated by the Ayurveda Guesthouse & Resort Bogenvillya.
The one world foundation supports a form of tourism based on mutual understanding and fair exchange. It sees itself as a communication centre which promotes dialogue between guests and locals. Through joint celebrations and the close cooperation between the guest house and the school, a sense of belonging is developed, which transcends ethnic and religious boundaries.
The one world foundation also creates space for dialogue and inspirational encounters. Within the Art & Literature Programme (“Art & Residencies”), a place for study is available to artists and writers at the Ayurveda Guesthouse & Resort Bogenvillya.
The founders of the one world foundation, Kathrin Messner and Josef Ortner (who passed away on 30 March 2009), were inspired by the so-called “social sculpture” of the artist Joseph Beuys. He advocated an extended concept of art, which, in addition to materially tangible work, also encompasses human, society-altering action.
Year-end celebration of the one world foundation school
On 13 December 2019 the year-end celebration of one world foundation was held with the distribution of certificates, music, dance and theatre performances, exhibitions and more.
Archive of Current News
My impressions as a volunteer at the one world foundation school in Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
It was love at first sight when I visited Sri Lanka four years ago – I was instantly attracted to the warm and friendly people, to the nature surrounded by mysterious sounds that we are not familiar within Europe, and to the delicious food. My dream was to explore more of this country and culture through the local people’s way of living.
I learned about the one world foundation school during an extensive Ayurveda retreat at the owf Ayurveda Guesthouse & Resort Bogenvillya, leaving me impressed by its philosophy and the eagerness and motivation of the students and teachers. A sabbatical led me to apply as volunteer to teach English to the pupils that attend the school programme. I got accepted.
I am now four weeks into teaching – a completely new experience for me, quite different from my daily job back home. I find it very fulfilling and rewarding to volunteer, to assist the teachers and to work closely with students of all ages in order to help them exploring their potential and to offer them some prospects for the future. Under the roof of the owf all people are treated as equal and with the same respect, regardless of their religious background or their families’ wealth.
Especially in these devastating and difficult times after the recent events it seems important to promote a sense of togetherness and to teach the next generation how we can live in peace together in this one world.
It didn’t take long to become attached to the school and its wonderful young students, that warmly welcomed me with curiosity and thirst to learn. It was one of my best decisions in a long time to support these people in their personal and professional development!
(Désirée Kern, 22 April 2019)
Year-end celebration of one world foundation
On 14 December the year-end celebration of one world foundation was held with the distribution of certificates, music, dance and theatre performances, exhibitions and more.
The traditional Perahera parade of our montessori classes at the end of term in summer 2018.
03.08.2018: Photography exhibition “Our Vision”
The exhibition “Our Vision” was opened on 3.8.2018.
Under the direction of Sasindu Pramuditha. Students: K. A. Eranda Chandeepa, U. J. Nishan Sampath, Isuru Rangana, J. K. Thisaru Madusanka, G. Ushan Randika, S. W. Sulochana Kavindi, W. T. Buddhi Maleesha Sewwandi, H. Rachitha Subhashini and L. Sajini Hansika.
Tax deductible donations
one world foundation is very pleased that all donations from from Austria, Germany and Switzerland are now tax deductible. Become a member of our supporter’s circle! Fore more information see: owf.at/free-education-school
17.10.2016: Sports day and certificate ceremony
11.08.2016: Perahera Festival and distribution of certificates
As every year, in early August before the holidays when the school year comes to an end, the traditional Perahera parade of the Montessori classes through Ahungalla took place and the certificates were distributed in the one world foundation.
- 03.05.2016: Artist in Residence Exhibition
13.04.2016: Happy New Year!
On the last school day before the Singhalese and Tamil New Year (13/14 April) one world foundation celebrated with the children, their families and the teachers!
28.03.2016: Radio broadcast on the one world foundation
Radio Oberösterreich broadcasted a one hour programme about one world foundation on 27 March 2016. Read and listen here!
11.03.2016: Interview with Kathrin Messner
On 11 March 2016 an interview with Kathrin Messner, the founder of one world foundation and museum in progress was published on the art platform Arterritory, read here.
16.09.2015: Book presentation at Unger & Klein
Thursday, 24 September at 6 pm the book „one world foundation – A Social Sculpture“ will be presented at the wine bar Unger & Klein (Gölsdorfgasse 2, 1010 Vienna). The evening will include a reading by Robert Menasse and Doron Rabinovici. We are looking forward to your visit!
05.09.2015: The book has arrived!
Our book is now available, we finished it just in time for the 20th anniversary of one world foundation. We are very happy about the result and we would like to express our deepest gratitude to all donors, authors, photographers and other supporters, who made this book possible! You’ll find more information about the book here.
All the money earned through this book will go to the Free Education Unit.
01.09.2015: Celebrating the 20 year jubilee of owf
12.08.2015: Perahera Festival
27.06.2015: Newspaper report in “The Financial Times”
On 27 June 2015 an article about Kathrin Messner, the founder of one world foundation and museum in progress was published in „The Financial Times“, read here.
- 06.04.2015: 20 years of “owf” – our book project
28.03.2015: Photography exhibition – “The Journey”
18.12.2014: School celebration
04.12.2014: Sports Day
27.08.2014: Perahera Festival
09.08.2014: Exhibition of the photography class
20.03.2014: Short documentation about the one world foundation
19.03.2014: Exhibition of photography class
If you would like to receive regular information about one world foundation projects, please subscribe to our newsletter. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and simply write “subscribe” as the subject line.
If you no longer wish to receive our newsletter, please send an email to email@example.com entering “unsubscribe” in the subject line.
- In light of the current situation
- Year end of 2019
- Charity Voting & Okto film portrait
- Offer 1 August – 31 October 2019
- Invitation Bags for Future, 10.7. in Zürich
- cookbok presentation
- In light of recent events
- Newsletter 17 December 2018
- Newsletter 17 August 2018
- Newsletter 6 June 2018
- Newsletter 15 March 2018
- Newsletter 31 October 2017
- Newsletter 14 July 2017
- Newsletter 23 January 2017
- Newsletter 17. October 2016
- Newsletter 16. August 2016
- Newsletter 10. June 2016
- Newsletter 18. April 2016
- Newsletter 17. September 2015
- Newsletter 14. August 2015
- Newsletter 8. April 2015
- Newsletter 24. March 2015
- Newsletter 20. January 2015
- Newsletter 4. September 2014
- Newsletter 27. August 2014
- Newsletter 28. March 2014
- Newsletter 6. February 2014
OUR BOOK WAS RECOGNISED WITH THE GOLDEN PIXEL AWARD ON 19.11.2015!
One world foundation - A Social Sculpture
180 pages, 57 colour illustrations, German / English, format: 21 x 27 cm, ISBN 978-3-200-04240-7 Price: € 28.- (+ shipping costs) 100% of the proceeds from the sale of the book benefit the Free Education School. This book of text and pictures presents selected articles about the one world foundation, written by: Dimitré Dinev, Maja Haderlap, Robert Menasse, Carl Pruscha, Doron Rabinovici, Brita Steinwendtner, Ilija Trojanov, David Schalko, among many others.
On 27 August 2015, the 20th anniversary of the one world foundation, the book was presented at a major anniversary celebration in Sri Lanka. The celebration in the Free Education School offered an impressive programme with exhibitions, dance, music performances, speeches, and a fashion show, among many other activities, all made possible thanks to the enormous dedication of students, parents and teachers.
Content / Articles
You can order the book online:
27.03.2016: Stiftung machte Schule in Sri Lanka möglich, Radio Oberösterreich/ORF
11.03.2016: A Social Sculpture, Arterritory
27.06.2015: Kathrin Messner: one world foundation, The Financial Times
18.04.2012: Paradiesische Residenz, Der Standard
23.12.2006: Urlaub für die Schule, Der Standard
LINKS & DOWNLOADS
- Aytour, Starnberg, travel agency, Ayurveda specialist
- Galerie Krinzinger, Vienna, responsible for the Artist in Residence Programme
- Lotus Travel, Munich, travel agency and Asia & Ayurveda specialist
- Patricia East & the late Prof. Erwin Seitz, Fachhochschule München, professional tourism
- Robert Menasse, Vienna, author, responsible for the Writer in Residence Programme
- Foundation pro juventute
- Studiosus, tour operators
- Information Service Third World Tourism
- Contact for Environment and Development, Stuttgart
- Localternative Sri Lanka, travel guide for responsible Sri Lanka travelers
- Ministry of Indigenous Medicine – Sri Lanka, Department for Ayurveda
- Nature Volunteers, nature conservation organisation – volunteers for Sri Lanka
- Austrian Development Agency
- respect, Institute for Integrative Tourism and Development
- Sail Lanka Charter
- Sinnspuren, an agency for holidays, events, seminars with meaning
- Solar School, a school project in Ladakh
- Chitral and Pushpa Amaratunga, members of the owf Board of Directors, Colombo
- Thenuwara Chandraguptha, artist, Colombo
- Srima Dissanayake, Colombo, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sabine Dreher, entrepreneur, Vienna
- Susanne and Marcus Geiger, artist, Vienna
- Elena Givone, photographer, Magic Lamp project in the owf
- Barbara Higgs, Head of Fundraising & Development, Schauspielhaus Zürich
- Dr. Dietmar Kinzel, attorney, Vienna
- Prof. Dr. Fritz Krinzinger, Institute for Classical Archeology, University of Vienna
- Dr. Paul J. Leyen, specialist physician, Vienna, former medical unit of the owf
- Elisabeth Menasse, historian and museum director, Vienna
- Günter Mik, teacher, director of the photography class at owf
- museum in progress, Vienna
- Prof. Dr. Carl Pruscha, architect
- Doron Rabinovici, author, Vienna
- Peter Sandbichler, artist, Vienna
- Bernd Schlacher, restaurateur, Vienna
- Eva Schlegel, artist, Vienna
- Tilak Seethawaka
- Varuna de Silva, architect, Colombo, email@example.com
- Laurent Ziegler, dancer and photographer, photo documentation on owf
- Thomas Wirthensohn, filmmaker and photographer, New York, creator of film and photos on the owf
The one world foundation is not responsible for the content of the websites listed here.